- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
Located on GW's Beautiful Mount Vernon Campus, the West Hall Theatre is a 1,600 square foot blackbox-style theater. As the home of GW's student theatre program, and a preferred location for concerts, presentations and other events, this space is extremely versatile and can accommodate many needs.
The Blackbox offers the following services and amenities:
- 1,600 square feet of hardwood floors to accommodate any set up desired.
- Seating for up to 150 patrons
- Technical staffing for events
- 20 Source-4 Par Lighting Fixtures and 36 Source-4 Jr. Ellipsoidal fixtures.
- Full Sound and Video system including laptop connection, CD/DVD players, 6 Wireless Handheld and 4 Wireless Headset Microphones.
- Full ADA Accessibility
- Backstage Green Room with Audio Monitors and Soundproof Technical Control Booth.
- Standard soft goods, including Floor to Ceiling Curtain Legs (Black) and Theater-Width Backdrop/Projection Screen (White)
Frequently asked questions:
Does the theater have a projection screen?
Yes, the theater is equipped with a white backdrop suited for use as a projection screen, however, this must be requested when booking the event to ensure adequate set-up time.
What is the stage-lighting like?A general wash will be provided, with the following options: 100% wash, 50% wash, 25% wash, Overhead House-Lights only, or full blackout. If other lighting designs are required, they must be requested when booking the event.
Do you have fly capabilities? Can we bring in our own set?
As a blackbox, the theatre does not have a fly system, but does have a suspended grid. Nothing may be hung on the walls, but sets may be approved by our technical staff in advance.
What backstage amenities are there?There is a Green Room with two stage entrances just off of the theater. It contains two large countertops with mirrors, as well as a sink. Monitors provide an audio feed from the theatre. The green room also provides a route to the restrooms and water fountains without passing through the theatre.
What is the seating capacity of the theatre?
The maximum seating capacity for the theatre is 150 chairs. Please keep in mind that as a blackbox without a dedicated stage, the addition of more chairs will reduce the available space for a performance or presentation. Up to two rows of chairs can be placed on risers, creating a stadium-seating feel. The standard set up includes three rows of stadium-style seating in a curved formation.